Jiayuan Guo’s decision to do an exchange semester at the School of Business was based on her own interest in Europe and the excellent reputation of the School. The structure of the semester is different from what she is used to, but Jiayuan feels that taking one course at the time has a lot of benefits:
- I really prefer this way of studying and I have learned more from each course and during the semester overall.
Can you tell us a bit about your background?
- I came to Stockholm University as an exchange student from Jilin University, China, where I am majoring in Finance. I am currently taking courses in Financial Accounting, Corporate Finance and Business.
Why did you choose to study at the School of Business here in Sweden?
- I have been curious about European countries since a young age. When choosing an exchange programme, I therefore immediately thought of Europe as a destination. As Sweden has an outstanding reputation in international education and the School of Business is said to be one of the best business schools in Northern Europe, I felt Stockholm University would be a great choice.
How are you finding it so far?
- I’ve taken several courses at the School of Business and experienced a new teaching model. The education system here is quite different from China’s. Instead of taking all of a semester’s courses simultaneously, we take one course at the time, which allows me to fully concentrate on one subject. I really prefer this way of studying and I have learned more from each course and during the semester overall. My professors have also been very inspiring and helpful.
While travelling around during our period breaks, I find myself continually amazed by this mysterious country. I love Sweden a lot, the people are really nice and the scenery beautiful.
What do you think is the main strength of the School of Business?
- The School of Business provides us students with many opportunities in different areas. Students here are creative and the professors are inspiring. I love courses with seminars, as lectures teach us knowledge while seminars give us a chance to reflect on how we learn.
Do you have any advice to give to students who are thinking about studies in Sweden?
- Just enjoy it! Enjoy all the lectures and seminars, even exams; enjoy all the activities held by the Senior Buddy Programme; and enjoy the longest winter and brightest summer!